Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The Atheist and the Believer; What Kind of World for the Kids? --(revised version)

I responded to a blog comment and got this in reply:

"I checked out your blog, but honestly, I'm not interested. I grew up godless and just don't really care to read about your faith bla bla bla. Believe whatever you want to believe, just dont' legislate it. In many respects I'm more libertarian than liberal. (Note the small "l" meaning I don't belong to the official party.) Do what is ethically right for you but leave me and my uterus alone. I can make up my own mind and ethical decisions based on logic and reason, not faith. If you want respect, you are going to have to give it to us godless folk in return. Thanks for writing."______________________________

I wrote:
Fair enough reply -- I don’t disrespect your right to be an atheist –but we who DO believe don’t want laws based on atheism –as in atheistic communism, which justified the murder of the intelligentsia and aristocracy and the religious in order to establish the evolution and eventual “dictatorship of the proletariat (worker)” –Marx’s phrase, not mine. He used logic and reason to come up with communism. This wonderful concept justified Stalin’s murder of 50 million people and was finally thrown over by the proletariat themselves. They saw that former Czarist thugs were just replaced by secret service thugs.

We don’t want laws based on secularism and atheism any more than you want laws based on Judeo-Christianity because there aren’t any ennobling moral laws inherent or implied in those isms. U.S. laws ARE based on Judeo-Christianity and its value of every person and the Golden Rule taught by Christ. Judeo-Christianity implies you must have freedom of speech and religious belief and not be killed by each other because of it; that’s not what the other religions and ologies say. Much that is right about America, making it the place others want to live, is a result of biblical view of equality in Christ –and equality as sinners at the foot of the cross. The N.T. says no one is better than any other with a right to murder. The protestant work ethic had good influence, also. The N.T. says if you don’t work, you don’t eat. (Of course there are exceptions –like when one can’t find work; the ethic is tempered by Biblical compassion.)

As French philosopher Alexis de Toqueville said in his 19th c. writing about America, ‘’America is great because she is good –and the secret of her goodness lies in her churches with their pulpits aflame with righteousness ; if America ever ceases to be good, she will cease to be great.”

As for your comment on abortion, there are better ways to protect the womb from unwanted pregnancy. Many inconvenient babies have turned out to be the greatest blessings. I can sympathize; pregnancy was not easy for me –4 times. And I am for any rape victim having the rape kit cleansing of the uterus, starting of her period –immediately after the rape as conception may not have occured yet. I do view a rape as a foreign invasion. Others would argue that the victim should wait to see if a conception occurs, that it would be God's will. I think He doesn't mind if we flush ourselves immediately after a foreign invasion in that rape is not His will. the technology may be His mercy after a rape. I WOULD personally hate to see a very young,innocent rape victim go through pregnancy.

However, abortion after pregnancy is confirmed has a high correlation with breast cancer because it unnaturally abrupts the changes that take place in the breast during pregnancy in a way that natural spontaneous miscarriage does NOT–-not to mention the risk of the emotional trauma from ending the baby's life.

People think they object to judeo-christian morality, but really, when they consider their children, what kind of people and laws do they want their children to experience? I don’t want anyone next door who really would molest my kids if given a chance, or draw them into any sexual activity –or steal –or lie about me—or covet or steal my husband or anything I have –or cuss at my kids –or run around naked in front of them –or take my daughter to get an abortion against my will. Those Ten C’s and The Golden Rule look pretty good to me when I consider the children.

Thomas Jefferson asked, “Can the liberties of a nation be sure when we remove their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are a gift of God?”

Our first pres. Geo Washington said, “…the propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right, which heaven itself ordained.”

The Bible says, “The fool has said in his heart, there is no God.” And “there is a way that seems right unto man, but it leads to destruction.” There is a Christmas song that says, “Wise men STILL seek Him, today.”

The beauty of the Gospel (Good News) is that it says God does exist, does love us, sent His son so we could live again and forever beyond the grave –as He did. That is the beauty of EASTER. He is Risen! Indeed!

My church will commemorate Jesus’ entry into Jerusalem –when the Jews came out and hailed him as king –on Palm Sunday –hopefully with exciting music –and Good Friday will be a candlelight service remembering his sacrifice on the cross for all people, again with lovely music –and Easter Sunday will be the celebration of Christ’s resurrection—and His promise that “because I live, you shall live also.” If this is true, you would certainly want to know!

Our services are Palm Sunday, April 1, 10:40 AM and Easter on April 8, 10:40 AM—and Good Friday at 7:00 PM –at the Holland Free Methodist Church at 6605 Angola road –right behind Spring Meadows.

No comments: