This issue also has a pro-choice writer telling that Democrats are mad at Obama for not insisting that gov't fund abortions. But, in fact, his Blue Dog democrats dare NOT vote for gov't-funded abortions; the abortion liberals do not have a majority in the nation's polls or in the Senate. They managed to put gov't-funding of abortion in the House version of the health reform bill--but it ain't gonna happen in the Senate! Hurrah for common sense and decency! and LIFE!
Reality of opposition has come to this president --as it did to Bush. You cannot get the majority to go your way--and still get re-elected --on some of these hard core controversies.
Here's another Newsweek tidbit: THE WAR ON TERROR IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR OUR FINANCIAL MESS --AMOUNTING TO 1.8 PERCENT OF GDP. THE DEFICIT IN 2009 IS ABOUT 11.2 PERCENT OF GDP ACCORDING TO THE CONGRESSIONAL BUDGET OFFICE --GREATER THAN ANY IN THE PAST 60 YEARS. And the war is only a fraction of it. It is nowhere near the cost of a world war, according to Laurence A. Tischy, prof of history at Harvard and the author of The Ascent of Money.
Prof Tischy says, in effect, "It's the Entitlements, Stupid!"
Consider that 40 per cent of adult Americans do not pay any taxes (tv source --don't recall who) --and many of these get the earned income tax credit --a gift from the gov't for working, so that working will be more profitable to them than sitting on the public dole. So only 60 percent are paying INTO the gov't, and the rest are all taking FROM. The 40% of non-contributors grows because we aren't making babies!! and we are aging!
And the Dumb Donkey Democrats want to add national healthcare to this scenario and tax higher the job generators making 250,000 and above. Nevermind that there aren't enough people in this income bracket to pay for all those entitlements to people who are not paying much, if anything, into the system. Nevermind that high taxes on the "haves" eliminates jobs and hurts small businesses especially --who provide most of the jobs (with the exception of Gov't bureaucracy --whose only money comes from the tax-payers because gov't MAKES nothing.)
HIGHEST STUPIDITY! DEMS WANT GOV'T TO PAY FOR ABORTIONS AND REQUIRE ALL HEALTH CARE PROVIDERS WITH GOV'T-SUBSIDIZED PATIENTS TO PARTICIPATE. Besides being morally indefensible, WE NEED CHILDREN!!!! We need good parents, also, to raise responsible, educated, moral, working citizens. Otherwise, the kids we do make end up on the dole and there is no income to tax for the entitlement programs.
Everybody will have to tighten their belts --including the seniors --of which I am technically one, though not yet gov't-dependent --in order to get us out of this mess.
And we are at the state where NOBODY VOTES LESS FREEBIES AND LESS MONEY FOR THEMSELVES. EVERYBODY WANTS TO KEEP ALL THEIR SO-CALLED ENTITLEMENTS --AND OBAMA AND THE DEMS ANNUALLY PROMISE THEM MORE!!! THEY GET ELECTED ON WHAT THEY CANNOT DELIVER! BECAUSE THE GOV'T MONEY COMES FROM THE WORKERS AND JOB GENERATORS --WHICH WE ARE MAKING FEWER OF.
You can't get blood from a turnip --which the nation has become!
What a mess!!!
"God is not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance and have eternal life."--the Bible