I wish I could tell her that NO ONE IS TELLING YOU TO PRAY! Just as Mother's Day is for mothers, National Day of Prayer is for those who pray --not for those who choose not to. There is no coercion or denial of liberty here.
There is no establishment of religion, but national respect for religion in general which includes prayer. "God, Bless America!" is a prayer --and a song by a Jewish man, Irving Berlin. You don't have to all become mothers on Mother's Day; you don't all have to become prayers on Prayer Day.
Where is the common sense and the respect for religious free expression in the FFRF? and the ACLU and the mis-named People for the American Way? They would take away the freedom of free exercise of religion in public places and by public figures. That's just plainly Un-American, unconstitutional, and counters the reality of the best aspects of our history.
National Day of Prayer Today
Some of us will be at the flag pole at the Springfield Twp Bldg. on
Wherever we are, let us all...
- Pray especially for our nation, our leaders, our elections
- Pray for help with our oil spill and other natural disasters around the globe.
- Pray that hearts will turn to God and return to Him in repentance and desire to know Him and serve Him.
- Pray for religious freedom and moral decency to prevail in our nation.
- Ask God to help us be part of the solutions and not the problems of our nation.
- Pray that the Church and the Christians will be faithful to proclaim CHRIST, crucified, risen and coming again –to the world.
- Pray for the needy and sorrowing that they will receive aid and comfort.
- Pray for our men and women in armed services.
- Pray that the Church will pursue Holiness over hedonism, purity over pleasure and show the world that Christ is alive in His church as we demonstrate His love to each other, to neighbors, relatives and enemies.
2 Chronicles 7:14
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
While Jesus recommended private prayer rather than praying for the purpose of being seen by men (with pride), He also says this:
19Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.
20For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them. Matthew 18: 19-20
"God is not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance and have eternal life."--the Bible