Monday, September 12, 2011

Where was I on 9/11? A Mattress Methodist

I admit I was still in bed when my grad student daughter came up to turn on the tv in my room–“Mom, you gotta see this –the Trade Center was attacked!” My husband had taken the kids up in the buildings on a previous NYC school trip –probably 8 years earlier. And then we saw the 2nd tower hit and both of them fall to the ground. People jumping out to escape the fumes and flames –preferring a different death –and people running, running, running.... we were stunned –what would some unnamed enemy do next? what other buildings and planes? What more was coming? Who had it in for us?

I was touched by Great Britain’s official service for us afterward –and all prayers, remarks of brotherhood with America –and the great old hymns of English/European Christendom they sang. As with the royal wedding, I thought, “God isn’t dead yet in Europe –in the important times, they acknowledge the Book and the Judeo-Christian God and Christ of their fathers.”

Many Americans also looked to God and church for comfort in the aftermath of 9/11.

"God is not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance and have eternal life."--the Bible

No comments: