Thursday, February 18, 2010

Should we "Indoctrinate our Children" into our Religions?

At the Religion Clause blog, a commenter said it was immoral to indoctrinate our children into our religions. That we should be sure they have freedom to choose their faith.

Now why would a child choose my faith if I taught it as suggested:

"Citronella, I'm a Christian --I believe in Jesus --but it's OK with me if
you decide to be Hindu, Muslim, Buddhist or atheist --even though I think
Jesus is the only way to eternal life and the path to our Creator God. I
love you enough to encourage you to consider the truth-claims of other religions
so that you can be deceived by wolves in sheep's clothing and go to Hell --or
experience eternal death without God."

What good parent would do this to his child? Not me. At the same time, we Christians KNOW that belief is a choice, and I cannot force my child to believe --but I CAN LIVE AND TEACH my faith and choose a good Biblical church that will make Christian faith and Community the best lifestyle and most credible ideology among all competitors.If I live as though my faith is fake, I can do damage to my children. If I can't love and forgive and be compassionate, then my children will see my faith as shallow -and question its authenticity.

Just because people are evangelicals/fundamentalists or whatever, doesn't guarantee they will always "be Christian" as they should be. (Obviously) But the light is there, the way is clear --it's up to us whether or not we follow.


"God is not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to
repentance and have eternal life."--the Bible

No comments: